The Secrets of St. Nick

The Secrets of St. Nick highlights the mythology of Santa Claus. Most children and adults have heard of Santa Claus - fat, friendly, white guy who bring presents to well-deserving children. He has a herd of flying reindeer, a really cool, snow-covered house and workshop somewhere up north, and a sweet wife who makes him cookies. We make the assumption throughout our lives he was a nice guy who lived a simple life role modeling extreme generosity. I made the mistake of doing some research and can't get the horror out of my head.

Did you know Santa Claus, or St. Nicholas of Myra, used to cast demons out of possessed trees? I'm still questioning how a tree becomes demonic and what kind of evil selects foliage for possession? I wonder how Santa exorcised the tree? Was it like in the movies where one throws holy water on the afflicted producing screams and torments? Did the ungodly pine have a demonic entourage and a sleuth of evil dancing bear familiars? Was the demon cast out only to infiltrate another innocent tree? Should one need to be constantly vigilant during the Christmas season for fear of purchasing the wrong Christmas tree? Is this why some shoppers are so selective and I've just been unaware all my life?

Santa Claus also saved some kids from pickling. This has to be the most interesting narrative. It seems during a famine the village butcher decided a good solution was to rid the locale of its overpopulation of children, pickle them, and sell them as meat. Again, not many details are given. I laughed when I read it, mostly out of disbelief, but quickly realized if there is even a sliver of truth, how absolutely horrible and disgusting. Did that stop me from artistic interpretation? No. I couldn't help it. The impending visuals were too enticing. However, I realize I might have overstepped my artistic license and although I love offending people in no way am I promoting or even encouraging child abuse. Don't hate me. I'm just illustrating history.

Lastly, what is with our concept of Santa Claus? Do we really freely accept strangers breaking into our houses in the middle of a winter night? Do we really want to encourage our children to accept gifts and candy from strange men? Why is it allowed for Santa Claus to be the judge and jury of child behavior and to reward them for being "good" or punish them with stockings of coal? Do we want our children to sit on a strange man's lap if they are offered treats? There is so much wrong with the concept of Santa Claus, but we've been compliant for centuries.

All of a sudden he gives me the creeps....

Size: 5 x 7 inches, bound


front cover


inside

back cover